Pages

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

How'd the Fair Go?

   This is what several people have asked me lately, and so I think that I should answer them. Mind you, that I'm not trying to brag, but only letting you know how I, and Susannah and David, did.

   David entered a clay beaver and bran muffins. They both got blue ribbons. He was also in a judging contest, made a monster cookie in front of a judge, and made a single dish in front of a judge. Some how his judging form was lost, and his results were not posted on the judging contest. He got a blue for the monster cookie contest, and a blue for his single dish that he made in front of the judge. This dish that he made was called "Ziploc Omelets." You actually make an omelet in a Ziploc. David also got an "Honorable Mention," which means that the judge thought that he deserved something, but the Champion and Reserve Champion had already been given out.

   Susannah entered a few more thing than David. She entered a wooden box, which she had painted and stenciled on, a family of clay teddy bear figures, jellied biscuits, a chocolate cake, and a recipe collection. All of these got blue ribbons. Her recipe collection got Champion (she stole it from me!), and was selected to go to state; the same with her cake, except it got a Reserve Champion. She also competed in the three contests that David had done. First she got a red in judging, a blue with her monster cookie, and a blue with her Apple Puff Pancake in front of the judge. She later found out that she had received the Champion Ribbon for her monster cookie.

   Now for my entries. I entered an Artisan Bread, and My Recipe Collection. Both recieved blue ribbons, were selected to go to state, and both got a Reserve Champion. I also competed in the judging contest, but got a red. My greatest accomplishment was preparing a mini-meal in front of the judge. I earned a blue, was chosen to go to state, and then was given a Champion. It was a great way to finish out 4-H (did I mention that I will probably not do 4-H nest year?). Now of course I would have liked to get a little better of a score on judging, being Reserve Champion last year, but it was for my good; you see, when doing very well in certain things, it gets easy to let your pride take over. So, I'm glad that I received a red ribbon, it taught me a little humility.



1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, all of you!
    I know what you mean about humility. This year at Csehy I got two awards, both of which I had wanted for a long time - Award of Honor in oboe, and a Camper of the Session award - the camper of the session one was "only" Honorable Mention, but God definitely knew the struggles with pride and that award in me, so I know it was for my good - and even honorable mention in that is huge!
    So again - great job! ... and sometime you gotta come out here and all cook for me. :)

    ReplyDelete